Creating “Kid-Friendly” Behavioral Rubrics

Published on: Author: bette 1 Comment

This Behavioral Guidelines Rubric was created for Holly Avenue’s National Blue Ribbon School application in 1999. It’s a tool that can be used by older students and parents as well as by teachers and other school leaders with students as a self-assessment guide.

CLICK HERE: Behavioral Guidelines Rubric

The best use I’ve found for this rubric is as a model for “Kid Friendly” rubrics written with and for students of any age.  I especially love writing these rubrics with very young children who are having specific problems with behavior. It’s important to use their exact words because it’s the only thing they’re really going to understand. 

I’m attaching one such tool here because it brought back some wonderful memories of working with a delightful homeschooling family. Seven-year-old Jennifer was having a lot of problems with her little brother Nash.  He, of course, felt she was the one causing all the problems.  Appealing to Jennifer as the more mature of the two, I created this rubric for her to use and to share with her parents. It was reported to be helpful:

CLICK HERE: Respecting Personal Boundaries RUBRIC – Kid Friendly

Here’s a generic version that you can use with your own children:

CLICK HERE: GENERIC Personal Boundaries RUBRIC – Kid Friendly

NOTE:

• On March 13, 2016 my friend Nancy and I were talking about how a behavioral rubric like these might be developed to use with middle school kids.
  • I told her that the easiest (and most fun) way to start is to write a description of the #1 level (Pre-emergent) first. I asked her to describe the kid who causes most problems for middle school teachers.
  •  We worked up from there and thought about the progress we’d like to see as a student takes responsibility for his or her own behavior.
  • Finally, we read it from the top down, like kids might read it when asked to circle the number that might describe their own classroom behavior. It’s not expected that a student move from #1 to #6 in a school year … but, I suppose, stranger things could happen! 🙂
  • I would advise AGAINST using this particular rubric with students. Instead, start with the BLANK template below – and create it WITH students using their exact words! This one was written by two teachers – and would sound that way to kids!

CLICK HERE:  Classroom Behavior Rubric

I’d love to have you play around with this and let me know what you come up with.  Here’s a template that you can use:

CLICK HERE: TEMPLATE for Kid-Friendly Rubrics

One Response to Creating “Kid-Friendly” Behavioral Rubrics Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)

1. [Note to Self!] I revised this post on April 17 and 23, 2022. It could become a stand-alone piece to submit or to post on my own FB Group or blogs … Continue working on it!